How to experience Cayucos like a Local - 5 tips
January 16th, 2016
Cayucos is like a potato chip; you just can’t have one visit! Once you discover this unique friendly town off of Highway 1, you can’t help but to come back and visit again. With a population of just over 2,500, this small beach town is like a walk back in time, when life was much more simple.
Here are 5 tips on how to experience Cayucos like a local.
1.First things first - walk along Cayucos Beach. There are many beach treasures that can be found when walking the beach:
- Sea Glass
- Sand Dollars
- Shark Teeth
2.Eat local- Here are some of our staffs favorite places to grab a bite:
- Cayucos Supermarket- has a great deli in the back where they offer sandwiches, tri tip, rotisserie chicken, tamales, and housemade sausages from Cayucos Sausage Co. Tip: Shoreline Inn has a bbq pit for guests to use, beachfront BBQ!
- Cayucos Gas & Deli- If you like spicy Mexican food or are craving a huge breakfast burrito, this is the place for you. Taco Tuesday offers $.99 tacos, and you have to try their Cayucos Burrito.
- Ruddells Smokehouse- Some say that if you you haven’t had a smoked fish taco from Ruddell’s you haven’t really visited Cayucos.
3.Take a hike- There are so many great places to explore in Cayucos and the surrounding cities. My personal favorite is Estero Bluffs Trail. It has 9 miles of trails with beachfront views and numerous trailheads. It is rich with Cayucos history and you can observe the local wildlife and plant species.
4.Surf, kayak, or give SUP (Stand up Paddleboard) a try- Living in a beach community gives locals the opportunity to make the ocean their gym. If you don’t own a surfboard, kayak, or SUP board, no worries, you can always rent one and even get lessons. http://www.goodcleanfunusa.com
5.Shop Local- Get geared up with all the local favorite brands and gear.
- Cayucos Collective- Custom clothing and art gallery.
- Happy Go Smile- Unique corky clothing, house goods, and home arts.
- Remember When and Remember When Too Antique Shops- Two shops same owners. If antique shopping is what draws you to Cayucos these two shops are a must stop.
Most importantly, RELAX. Enjoy the scenery, the ocean, the sea life, and the weather.